Wednesday, January 03, 2007

pew pew master chief

Altitude warning. Descent rate to high.

“You think?” I yelled back into my helmet

I looked down to see the ground charging at me faster and faster. It’s funny the way the mind thinks in a situation like that. Here I was hurtling towards the ground and I had thought I was the stationary object with something coming at me. Tucking my arms back and keeping my legs straight I leaned my body to try and aim for the lake I had seen earlier. Power diving, I was on course but my speed had also increased. Reaching for my grenade belt I prepared to try something that you should only try when your options are death, and probable death. I had four grenades with me and set them all to detonate on impact. The exosuit I was wearing was heavily shielded and armored which in theory should protect me from the grenade detonation. Flipping myself over while falling, I strapped the grenades under my feet and began to fall straight down feet first. It could have been an amusement park ride in another situation but for me this was not an ideal moment. Crossing my arms and keeping my head straight I got ready for impact.

“Lavi can I get a countdown please”

5, 4, 3, 2, 1.. impact

The moment the grenades touched the water they exploded breaking the stillness of the surface while changing my momentum. Warning alarms blaring in my helmet I felt the water envelop me quickly. I clawed at the water trying to swim but realizing that the exosuit prevented me to swim any better than a rock wearing flippers. I waited till I settled on the bottom of the lake maybe five meters from the surface. My legs were wobbly when I touched solid ground but they were still attached to my body and I was still alive. I walked a few meters until I came to the shore. The enemy knew we were here and they would be looking for survivors.

“Lavi, activate sonic nullifier and active camouflage”

Sonic nullifier and active camouflage systems activated.

The nullifier would hide my life signs from any active scans and the active camouflage would take care of anyone visually scanning the area. I was slowly going into shock from everything that just happened.

“Lavi, open communications with the rest of the squad and locate”

Unable to fulfill request. Planet side communications are being disrupted by unknown forces. Squad member beacons not active.

This was bad, either the beacons were being jammed or the other guys didn’t survive the fall. I had made it into the tree line when my legs finally gave out… okay maybe I’ll rest for a few minutes.

It’s been over 48 hours since our drop pod was shot down. Upon weapons impact, the pod began to disintegrate and the last time I saw my comrades everyone was free falling in different directions. We all had on our combat exosuits which for the most part should have absorbed the force of impact on the ground but from the altitude we were at the chances were slim.

“Lavi, has there been any word from the Tichon about reinforcements or extraction?”

Negative. Satcom is being disrupted by enemy forces. Limited communication is available.

Damn it. It was a textbook recon drop, or at least that’s what we thought on the way down. My squad and I were to gather intelligence on enemy movements and analyze anti air capabilities. Initial reports had indicated a lack of anti air which should allow for a smooth drop. Someone was wrong, and if I get back to HQ, someone is going to meet the wrong side of my Steyer pistol.

0 comments: